6.15.2008

It's 10pm, but I swear it seems like 6.

I love summers in Holland, and now that it is officially my third such season here, I can say that with some cred. It stays light so late that the days take on a slower pace and everyone seems to be amazed all the time because it is perpetually 6pm in our collective heads, though it is much later in actuality. I remember being sent to bed as a kid when it was still light outside and using the lingering daylight to sneak a page or two of reading in when I was supposed to be sleeping. Those few pages felt like gold, and I still get the same charge when the clock says one thing but the light says another.

I started work this week and like it very much so far. Being the only non-Dutch speaker is a challenge, mostly because I can't eavesdrop and get a leg up on the challenges that I know are coming, but I am eager to learn and the people I am surrounded with are both patient and kind. The work is amazing -- very creative and smart -- and I feel like I fit. Once I can communicate in Dutch, it will all be better. One thing that surprised me was lunch, when everyone eats together in a common room, from food that is provided once a week by the company. Lots of soft sandwich bread, lots of butter, lots of cheese, lots of milk and lots of spreads. And sprinkles. They were very nice and asked me if I needed anything specific to eat, so this week will see the addition of Wassa crackers, green apples and soy milk. I want to fit in, but I can't eat what they eat and feel at all healthy. It is the first real cultural difference I have experienced, and in the very first week of working somewhere else. Guess this little experiment is working already!

The Euro Cup is very exciting. On Friday I went to the Arena (stadium) for the Bon Jovi show (which rocked, so stop your scoffing right now), and they showed the Netherlands vs. France match on the big screen before the band played. So exciting -- especially with about 20,000 people. So loud, so fun, so Hup! Hup! Holland!! Unfortunately, I know the French national anthem better than the Dutch one, but my friend Elissa and I managed to fake lip sync well enough to get by. Note to self: learn the Dutch national anthem.

No comments: