6.09.2008

I am on the set of "West Side Story"

Some young punks on the corner are singing the "Italia" anthem moments before the Euro Cup 2008 match between Italy and Netherlands starts. It is an epically beautiful evening, with the sky the brightest blue and more orange shirts in the streets than ever show up on Queens Day. Air horns, body paint and a real sense of excitement, even amongst the normally placid Dutch.

Tomorrow I start my first day at my new job, so that real sense of excitement might just be emanating from me like so much garlic, but I don't think so. It is a new chapter for me, and that is always a cause for celebration. More details to come.

We have all adjusted back to Amsterdam time and ways. On the way back from the phone store (which PROMPTLY closed at 6pm), Tom and I ran into a Dutch friend who is moving to Denmark tomorrow with his lovely Danish girl. For anyone who has ever emigrated to another city (within your country or not), you will recognize this moment as a watershed: you are minding your own business and hear your name called out from an outdoor cafe on the corner. You look over and see a friend who motions you over and asks you to stay for a beer. THAT is a sign that you have arrived and started creating a life. THAT is a cause for celebration.

Oh my god, Netherlands just scored. There is madness coming from the windows of apartments all over my neighborhood. Fantastic.

I know I need to share details of the trip, but I am loathe to try and write about it when I am still so in it. Suffice it to say that I was reminded how much I am loved just as I am and how amazingly lucky I am to have such amazing people in my life. I'll just go to the "Sound of Music" place and say, without embarrassment, that somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something seriously good. Nothing comes from nothing as they say.

WOW. Netherlands just scored again. Hup Holland!!!! Scream from the street! Yellow card!! I have to stop writing and start enjoying. I was far too green (te groen) to understand or participate in the glory that is European football when I moved here during World Cup 2006. Now that I am going on my third year, I can finally don my orange, push my way to the front of the pack and cheer along.

No comments: