6.22.2008

Ik ben (sort of) Nederlandse

What a weekend! After my second week at work, I started to settle into a groove, only to be away from the office all this week at intensive Dutch class. I am so excited to start tomorrow, and hope to stretch my brain beyond anything I have imagined. I know it won't be a silver bullet that allows all communication to be clear, but it is a significant step toward becoming a proper Dutch speaker. And that is a good thing.

Saturday was the quarterfinal match between Netherlands and Russia. We went to a bar in de Pijp with friends (after consuming an obscene amount of cottage pie at Alison and Snapper's house) and were there to ride the waves of frustration, glee and sadness, as the mightly orange were eliminated from competition. When Holland scored a goal to tie the game, it was as loud, as exciting, as fun as I have ever imagined. The place went nuts, and we were part of it. I think I may have inadvertantly caused the loss because I had visited a costume shop earlier in the day and had bought much orange ephemera in anticpation of a victory -- wigs, hats, glasses, ect.) Note to self: wait until your team makes it to the finals before buying props. At least we are set for Queens Day next year!

Today was a lovely lazy day, as the winds are blowing with great force and the temperature is a humid 75. It is nice to be here, experiencing all of the events of the day with Tom and Beets. Just to sit on the red couch together and read books as Spain and Italy battle on the television is a beautiful thing. I hope the Dutch takes and I am hopeful that another world will open up here for us. It will take time and work, but it is quite a great challenge to take on. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: