5.13.2007

The token American and footless tights

What a weekend. I haven't been to bed before 4am for two days, which is shockingly rare for me. Perhaps unheard of. And this afternoon I went to my friend Kerrie's place for lunch, which involved much wine and good food and has led me to cancel my plans for tonight ("EuroTransvision" at the Winston for those of you playing along at home). I was the only American at lunch, surrounded by two Italians, a German, a Scott, an Australian and my English hostess, which was fantastic -- just like I imagined my Sundays would be like before I moved here. On the two block journey home, I caught a reflection of myself in the windows: giant baby doll-type dress bought in Paris with the BEST detailing on the sleeves and neck, black footless tights, black ballet flats and a bright green purse. As I walked by myself, I thought, "Damn! That girl looks cool!" And then realized it was me. Did I mention the quantity of wine I had this afternoon and my lack of sleep?

Last night when I was in the police station at 3:30am (not getting arrested, just giving a statement) I went to use the bathroom and was impressed by their cool modernistic use of blue light, but then learned today that the blue light is so junkies can't see their veins. I foresee a huge photo essay coming of all the Amsterdam bathrooms that feature blue lighting. Could be interesting...

Must say that my life here is getting better and better all the time. Meeting some fabulous people who are funny and interesting and also finally getting to know people that I work with better as well. And really. Footless tights! Come on! Where else...?

No comments: