3.31.2008

The universe gives a birthday present

Birthday sparkles at Moeders.

I wrote about being taught the phrase "en 'shallah" when I was in Egypt, but I didn't expand on how valuable the idea "if God wills it" would become in the weeks after I returned back to Amsterdam from holiday.

While I was away, there were several layoffs made in the company, much to everyone's surprise. Long story short, when I returned to the office, I was told that I was being let go as well. Though I worked very, very hard this last year, the job I was doing was a casualty of client changes. There is no way that anyone working in advertising can possibly believe that their job is ever safe with all the variables that come into play in this industry, but it was sad news.

"Guitar Hero," I will miss you most of all!

Fortunately, Tom was hired by a Dutch company when we were in Paris, so he can sponsor me and we can stay in Amsterdam. I don't know what I am going to do yet, but I have some ideas that are kicking around. There is no hurry to find a new job, so I want to make certain that I give this decision the attention it deserves.

Freddie Mercury showing off his Queen's Day crown before we left the office.

Friday was my last day at the office, followed by my birthday on Sunday and tomorrow is Tom's first day at his new office, so there are plenty of changes and celebrations afoot. I found a spot for my Freddie Mercury doll in the apartment (whew!) and was feted in grand style by my friends. And tomorrow Rabito and I will hang out together and figure out our routine.

Matthew and Maureen gave me a set of "Gnarly Teeth," which livens up a dinner like nothing else. How great to have friends willing to ass out in public for the silliness of it all.

My first goal of unemployment will be perfecting the basic crepe. Tom gave me a beautiful pan, but my first foray into crepe-making yielded lumpy batter and alien shapes, so I am going to spend an entire day trying out different recipes and combinations. Tom will come home from work and I will force-feed him 20 crepes while demanding to know every small detail of his day. Or maybe a better idea will be an impromptu afterwork party for my friends where they just stop by and pick up some crepes on their way home. That sounds better. And less crazy.

There is nothing but opportunity waiting for us around the corner, but so much freedom can be a little daunting, especially when work has been the defining aspect to my time here. It will be a different Amsterdam once spring arrives and I will actually get to enjoy it, en 'shallah.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well congratulations! winds of change, "it is written".

Elise said...

Wow, Katie, my affirmation of the day was "My life is a constant and glorious exploration". You can borrow it if you want. I can't wait to see what happens in your next chapter.