6.13.2007

A year recap, in alphabetical order

I tried to come up with some clever way to mark my year anniversary. And, falling short of clever, I thought this was good enough. Enjoy, and if you have any suggestions for missing letters, I would love to hear them.

Albert Cuyp Market:
My local spot for vegetables and other assorted sundries. Crowded with humanity each Saturday and the source for the best feta-stuffed peppers in the world.

Barrie's Weekly Music List: I discovered two of my favorite albums of the year through my colleague Barrie and his weekly list of musical gems. The editorial that accompanies the songs features great writing, even if I don't understand many of his cultural references. Apparently my knowledge of British pop culture is limited to the Gallagher brothers and Baby Spice. Who the heck is Jordan???

Colette: The boutique of cool in Paris that Jonna took me to. All good yo.

D

Eerste jan van der Heijdenstraat: my street. I depended on the phonetic spelling for about a month after moving here.

Fietsen: to cycle. One of the smartest things I did when I moved was buy a bike right away and start riding. I quickly got used to the unique Amsterdam method of sharing the road (this is the same method used when buying anything at the markets or getting on a tram); "Pretend you are the only one on the planet and accomplish your objective with focus and determination." It's funny how you can survey a four-way intersection for other bikes, cars and pedestrians while not making direct eye contact with any of them. And I love ringing my bell at clueless tourists who stop and stand still in the middle of the street. Some of them jump really high!

The Greenhouse: I am not much of a smoker, but there is something strangely satisfying about sitting under a photo of red-eyed Jon Bon Jovi and on a plushy velvet sofa when enjoying the rare evening at a coffeeshop. This sort of decadence was made for Paris circa 1928. Except for the JBJ. He's more Jersey 1988.

Hobbemakade Canal: the canal closest to my apartment. Each morning I check on the swimming baby ducks on my way to work and grin like a crazy woman.

Ij: Pronounced EYE -- the body of water you cross via ferry to reach the monthly flea market in the North. Fabulous 15 minute trip with bargains on the other side.

J

Kroller-Muller Museum: I have written about this museum located in the middle of a Dutch national park many times, as it is my most favorite place. It gave me Barbara Hepworth and Theo van Doesburg and happy sunny afternoons riding around on white bikes with my friends.

Light: Never have I lived in a place where I stop and exclaim about the quality of the sunlight so often. Amazingly beautiful and constantly changing.

M

North American Sports Network: I pay extra cable fees for the opportunity to watch baseball and football games play live late at night. Falling asleep while watching the Superbowl at 1am with my head resting on Tom's lap is a lovely memory.

O

Pate of the Week: Available at the local supermarket chain. I have been exposed to the most delicious varieties of pate this year. Favorite meal is still pate, fresh bread, steamed green beans and a glass of white wine. Or three glasses.

Queen's Day: Biggest one-day garage sale in the world and everyone wears orange. How could I not love it?

Roadbump Blog: My sister's journey through breast cancer -- from diagnosis through treatment. So brave and so well written.

Schipol Airport: Because with rare exceptions, every time I have been there I have been greeting people I love, leaving for an adventure or just returning from one. And there is an H&M there!

Trains: As anti-social as it might sound, I love riding the trains and listening to random songs on my iPod. On my first train trip of the year, I heard Dave Brubeck playing in time with spinning windmills on my way to Brussels. On my last train trip of the year, I heard Arcade Fire singing about black mirrors in French on my way to Paris.

U

Visiting: Brussels, Prague, Barcelona, Sevilla, Cologne, Antwerp, Florence, Paris, plus three visits to New York City and two to Portland. And I wish I had done more.

Work: Both at Wieden+Kennedy and in the darker moment of solitude. I am so grateful that I didn't give up on this place or on myself. And I thought very seriously about doing both.

X
Y

Zwart Pete: The holiday season was made all the more surreal by the surprise appearance of Zwart Pete(s), the assistant(s) to Sinterklaas. Two black-faced, androgynous characters in large hoop earrings and pantaloons arrive to take naughty children back with them to Spain. I was biking home late at night in early December and passed two Zwart Petes standing silently by the side of the road, holding large beers. One of the strangest and coolest moments I experienced here in the crazy place called the 'Dam.

No comments: