1.02.2007

The Portland highlight reel

Friday: Stacy picked me up at the airport and we drove to her house for champagne and cheese. And it snowed! LeeAnne came and fetched me, and, to be honest, it was a blur from that point on. There was more bubbly and pepperoni pizza and the comfortable couch island, where I fell asleep for a few hours and then woke up to "What Not to Wear." I didn't sleep at all for the rest of the night.

Saturday: Target, TJ Maxx, Marshalls and other frenzied shopping spots (it was a week before Christmas). I tried to drink a Starbucks Eggnog Latte and almost spit it out because it tasted like chemicals. Fortunately my tolerance for American additives and preservatives came back by the end of the trip...
I saw the brilliant and beautiful Jackie for my much needed brow harvest and a lovely facial. She has known me for many years and has listened to me through all my life changes. The perfect way to begin my stay.
That night I went to Amelia's 40th birthday party and saw many of my crafty bitches from the quarterly cabin trips. The love! The brilliance! They are such kick ass women. I would have stayed and drank and talked all night, but LeeAnne (wisely) took me home at a reasonable hour to get some much-needed rest.

Sunday: Crafty wonderland with Stacy and Marie at Doug Fir. Portlanders at that venue all looked like art students. It was very Bust magazine and a nice dose of home right away. After wandering amongst the crafts, we went upstairs to the bar for booze and food. Three hours later there was tipsy shoe shopping at Imeldas. So cheap compared with Amsterdam and soooo much better. Heavenly day.

Monday: Took the bus downtown to do some Christmas shopping. Wandered around a lot and loved the cold weather. Went to Wieden around 4 and visited people for a few hours. It was GREAT going back there and being reminded just how funny and kind people are. Went to leHappy with friends and wondered at their wit and smarts.

Tuesday: Met my friend Geoff for coffee and quickly remembered why he is one of my very favorite people. Got my hair done with the fabulous Theo and three hours later emerged sleek and very brunette. Went out to St. John's to see my friend Jake at his shop (Blue Moon Camera) and ran quickly back to the west side after realizing just how ugly St. John's really is. Went for sushi with the fabulous Mary Miller. She had just returned from a trip to Argentina, which sounded amazing. She is someone who I am constantly amazed by -- so smart and funny.

Wednesday: I wrapped presents and was a general sloth most of the day. LeeAnne and I went for tapas at Fernando's that night and reminisced about the trip to Spain.

Thursday: Amelia's actual 40th birthday! We went for Monte Carlo sandwiches at the Tillicum where she was resplendent in her birthday tiara. We were in awe of the hairdos on the regulars - very white and very high hair. After eating the fried wonders, we wandered Alberta street and went back to her house for celebratory champagne.
That night I went to Margo's going away drinks at a cool bar on Burnside. She is moving to SanFrancisco to take the city by storm with her writing prowess. It was so good to see her and she gave each of us the coolest thing: a book she made where she wrote about five of the new foods she discovered this year and used her photography to offset the story. She included some samples of the foods (fleur-de-sel carmels are my very favorite) all packaged in a pastry box. Very charming and unexpected. I can completely see her writing a cook book.

Friday: Picked up the gayest rental car ever: a cherry red PT Cruiser. Good god. Tom was disproportionately excited about riding in it. Went to lunch at McMennemins with Stacy and had the tater tots. Bliss! Then went downtown and met Lisa, Maya and Tracy from W+K for their celebratory "No work for a week" drinks. Those ladies are great and I am not just saying that because now I know they read the blog. LeeAnne got the kids that night and we went out for Mexican food at the local strip mall. Si senor.

Saturday: Long breakfast with Heidi savoring bloody mary's and reminiscence of Amsterdam. Bad news from Stacy and Dave about the baby made me very sad. Last minute shopping made me know without a doubt that I was back in the US.

Sunday: Christmas eve! Had the family over to LeeAnne's for dinner and presents. Very nice.

Monday: Christmas stockings and mimosas with LeeAnne. Then there was the traditional Christmas day hot tubbing. I think there may have been a nap in there somewhere. I went to dinner at Pete and Sheri's and then picked up my dear boyfriend at the airport that night.

Tuesday: Tom and I went to Black Butte and he met Mimi and Bill. All seemed charmed by each other. I am so glad that I took the time to go up there because it is so beautiful and peaceful there.

Wednesday: It snowed Tuesday night and most of Wednesday so Tom and I got to walk in the snow (check that off the list). Unfortunately it was too icy to drive to Bend and meet up with our friends, so we chilled at the house and I dominated Tom in Scrabble.

Thursday: We had a long and nerve wracking trip back to Portland on very icy roads, but made it back safely.

Friday: I had ten people over for dinner (that was the limit of seating and space in my sister's kitchen) and it was just amazing. Spanish food, loads of wine and great conversation. At one point I sat at the end of the table and just watched my friends interact with each other. I wish I could have invited three times the number this time, but that gives me something to look forward to (summer party on LeeAnne's deck). How great is my sister to open up her house to me...

Saturday: Tom went with me to run errands as I gathered things up to take back with me. Packing took a lot longer than I thought it would and I was exhausted by the time the Giants took the field for their "must-win" game to get to the playoffs. So it was a little anti climatic, but at the same time very normal.

Sunday: I took Tom to the airport in the morning and then returned there a few hours later for my own departure. It wasn't so sad because I realized, after this trip, that six months flies by. I will be back before I know it for more fun.

No comments: