11.06.2006

NYC baby!

I had a great weekend with Tom in New York/New Jersey/Connecticut and got the requisite first visit back out of the way. It was fun to be back in the land of Target and cheeseburgers, but especially great to see old friends and hang out with my boyfriend. The weather was perfect and I got to see New England autumn leaves at their finest when we journeyed up to Mystic for a touristy day trip. It was so freaking quaint I almost passed out.

When I got on the plane, I was so surprised to hear only English spoken by the flight attendants -- and American at that. I just expected to hear Dutch first, or at least second, as we jetted across the Atlantic. Newark was filled with chaos and noise and I felt sorry for anyone who wasn't a native English speaker who landed there. The directions and signs made no sense to anyone! Welcome to America: fill out these forms and don't use your cell phone in customs.

Manhattan was, as always, perfect, and I am certain that I will end up there, but I was excited to get back home to Amsterdam. If Tom were here with me, I would officially be the luckiest gal in the land. As it is, I get to visit the city I love and come back to a city that I am developing a bit of a reluctant crush on.

No comments: