8.06.2006

Gay Day

Amsterdam hosts the largest Gay Pride celebration in the world, so I donned my pink feather boa and motorcycle boots and went forth to soak the fabulousness in.


There is a massive boat parade on the Prinsengracht canal that an estimated 35,000 people watch from the bridges and alongside the water. I got to see the parade from a lovely top-floor apartment right on the canal -- enjoying cocktails and food
while waving at the boys and girls from above. The floats were essentially giant dance parties with great outfits.

Some notes from the field:
- One float had men dressed in Rembrant-era neck ruffs and short shorts.

- The float with older (much older) men and women who were dancing in pink polo shirts and rainbow leis was a classy and dignified contrast to the youngsters on the other boats. It was charming and very heartening to see.

- This was a family event, meaning that Dutch families (moms, dads and kids) were out on their small boats watching the parade go by. It was a joyful and entertaining event and it was nice to see people just enjoying the energy without judgment or fear.

And me? I wound up dancing on a stage and having a blast and then drunk dialed my parents when I got home. Cuz that’s the way I roll.

2 comments:

Elise said...

I love Katie because she can't move to Europe without her pink boa.

Amy Taramasso said...

How fun! Sounds like an excellent time.