6.22.2006

Patriotism in the pitch

I watched the England vs. Sweden game at an Irish (??) pub that was filled with British ex-pats cheering their loudest and getting all testosteroney with football fever. It was a sight to behold -- hot, a bit smelly, very noisy and very, for lack of a better word, passionate. Green Bay's Styrofoam cheese hats have nothing on the English soccer fan.

And so today, when the USA played Ghana in its must-win game, I sat in front of the television at work and allowed myself a bit of patriotic internal flag waving. It felt good to cheer for my team simply because they were my team and that anthem at the beginning of the game was my anthem and that dork in the stands wearing an American flag and a chicken beak mask was one of my countrymen (zoinks!). Perhaps I am too judgmental of those who are AMERICAN with a capital A -- talking loudly with wide-eyed innocence and wonder at how different things are here from there (like there is the land of normal and here is some freakish place where the wine is cheaper) -- perhaps I am missing out on something great by not embracing my national identity 24/7. But how can I be proud of being an American when I am not proud of America? And why is it that I assume that these wide-eyed Americans who talk too loudly and point out too many differences are all sheltered neo-cons?

Enough about that. Bettine Geitenkaas Honing 45+ is a sweet, soft cheese that is delicious on sandwiches. It tastes a little like cream cheese only sooooo much better.


No comments: