6.29.2006

No matter where you go

The baggage comes with you. I wonder what it would have been like to be an expat in my 20s, mostly because I would have had the capacity and desire to be wilder then, and I sort of feel like a boring old woman amidst the sheer volume of alcohol consumption by my coworkers. I want to go out and be social, but I just can't keep up and I like sleeping far more than I like being loud in a smokey bar. And I miss going out to dinner. People don't really seem to do that here and I outgrew the liquid dinner diet about the same time my lactose intolerance (aka - the dark days) ended and I rediscovered cheese. I am just not a huge party girl and I am sort of in a party atmosphere right now.

I move in to my new apartment this weekend, which will be fabulous. My things arrive from Portland on Tuesday and for the first time in years and years, I will have my own place. I can't wait. There will be photos, though I won't have internet access for a while. If you believe what people say, the act of having cable hooked up in Amsterdam is a study in frustration and sheer amazement. Everyone keeps warning me about how bad Dutch service is and how "It's not possible" should be the national motto, but I haven't encountered anything that bad yet. Rest assured, I will write about it when it happens.

1 comment:

Buffy said...

I couldn't even keep up Euro-Style in my twenties. I was busy crawling into my pajamas when they were busy getting ready for all-night-outs.

I like sleep more than loud too.