1.04.2010

Happy New Year!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Unbelievable that it is already 2010. The last decade was...wow.
The last year was. Past tense. Thank God.

I start this decade and year pledging three things:

1. Buy no new clothes or shoes for one year. This is the one no one thinks I can do, but I am very excited to try and make it work. Shoe repair, tailoring, and up-cycling some pieces will be key, but, after organizing my closet yesterday and realizing how much extra I have and don't wear/use/see, I know I have plenty to work with.

2. Do something creative every day. That includes being more devoted to my blog. Life has been a bit of a gray mush for a while, and I haven't been inspired to write anything, but yesterday, when I was running on the awesome icy snow and stopped to watch a rabbit cross the canal on the ice, I realized I haven't allowed myself to be open to inspiration. Nature throws out the wonder!

3. Detox through the month of January. No booze. No meat. No salt. No refined sugar. No wheat. No dairy from cows. No caffeine. I am on day 3 and doing alright so far. Made a delicious dish last night that met all the criteria and was flavorful and filling. Here is the recipe:

SPICY SHRIMP (because seafood is allowed)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 Tbs fresh oregano, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 red chile, sliced
1 green chile, sliced
1/2 kilo frozen Tiger prawns or other big shrimps, peeled
2 Tbs fresh coriander, chopped
1 cup brown rice

Cook the rice. Throw onion and garlic at bottom of a medium-hot wok and stir around in a tiny bit of olive oil until soft. Throw in all remaining ingredients except for coriander, shrimp and rice. Stir lightly for approx. 5 minutes, until all ingredients are warmed through. Throw in frozen
shrimps and cover for approx. 5 minutes. Uncover, stir in coriander and serve over rice.

No comments: