6.12.2009

Why I love New York

I've been in New York for just over 24 hours and already:
  • was engulfed by humanity upon arriving at Penn Station and wheeled my suitcase through and around and over more than a few hurdles and the odd puddle of something in my journey to the hotel. It was hard to keep from beaming while maintaining my subway face.
  • accomplished my #1 goal of the trip and bought new running shoes. We went to Paragon Sports on 18th, and the experience made me think I was still in Amsterdam because the guy helping me was just showing me shoes they had in my size and not the best shoes for my gait. Then, after I told him that I'd like to see some different brands, said, "OK, but my shift is over so someone else will have to help you." If he had been 7 feet tall and had gelled hair, it would have completed the illusion. We left without buying and went to Jack Rabbit Sports where I had a complete opposite experience and left with some awesome new shoes and a big smile on my face. I tried them out this morning on the treadmill and ran like the wind.
  • went to a diner and had a sublime BLT on white toast, no mayo, side of fries and a piece of cherry pie.
  • met friends for dinner and drank Oregon pinot gris - woo hoo!
  • ordered a vastly overpriced pumpernickel bagel with cream cheese, lox and tomato and ate it over the Thursday Style pages in the Times.
  • found my awesome wedding dress at Century 21 marked way the heck down
  • ventured into the annals of the diamond district to get my engagement ring repaired at the city's top-rated jewelry repair shop. It was bizarre but so good to see that the undercurrent of weird still exists behind the chain stores.
  • got my manicure and pedicure and nearly cried
And that is just the first 24 hours. I love it here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

woohoo wedding dress! sounds like a fun trip xoxox

John does Amsterdam said...

jackrabbit in nyc is the best for running shoes.

i went there for mine.. when i went back to nyc to pick up my dutch visa :)