6.29.2009

1:05:15

I have been running regularly for the past month and a half - about 30 minutes every other day - and feeling a lot better because of it. Everything is calmer and happier on a running day and it is a beautiful thing to keep improving.

Last Friday night I was out with Maureen and asked if she wanted to run together over the weekend and she said, "I'm running a 10k on Sunday. You should come!" I decided to go and give it a try, figuring I would run until I had no more run left and then walk the rest of the way. It was going to be a good test for me to try and go 60+ minutes.

But like Yoda said, "There is no try, there is only do," and I did! There was no walking at all and I finished in a very respectable one hour, five minutes (and 15 seconds). Tom and Rabito came and met me near the finish line, and I credit them for keeping me going because I couldn't wait to see them both. I rounded a corner with about half a kilometer to go and there they were! I clapped and waved and Rabito came bounding across the road to run with me, and I had a brief vision of crossing the finish line with him, but, as he couldn't stand that Tom was five feet behind me and kept trying to pull me back to run next to him, I had to do a reverse relay pass and hand the leash backward. And then I ran as hard as I could to the end!

And just like that, I became a runner. I signed up for another 10k in August, with hopes of running the half marathon in October. I feel like I have found a friend and I am excited for the journey ahead with her.

1 comment:

LeeAnne said...

Yeah you! I'm so proud!