4.30.2009

The salt to my pepper


Today was Queen's Day and it was epic. Tom and I had no agenda other than wandering and we ended up seeing just the people we wanted to see and doing just what we wanted to to. And I wore a parrot on my head all day. Photos to come later.

Queen's Day really is the world's largest garage sale, and I spent most of the day digging through vinyl, looking for records to boost my new collection. I did exceedingly well, bringing home 10 new LPs and a big box full of 45s -- 90% of which were free.

One of my new records is by Kate Bush, my best friend Jonna's all-time favorite. As I listened to her tonight, laying on the floor between the speakers, a massive wave of love washed over me. Such a massive wave that I grabbed my computer, compelled to write.

I was not a girl who had close friendships growing up, and though I have some regret about that, I also accept old scenarios as being exactly what they were. What I know more that anything is that, no matter what signals I sent (send?) of independence, confidence and self-contained affirmation, I was desperate to find people who got my jokes and wanted to be in my orbit.

I actually didn't know a joke getter existed until my first week of college, on floor two of Moore Hall in the Bean Complex, at the University of Oregon. I met Jonna, who was so much cooler than I was. She was funny and dry, knew about music, was super smart, had a great style and was a fierce individual, but didn't alienate anyone around her as she flew her unique Jonna flag. After a month of torturing our respective roommates, we moved into the same room, and the rest, as they say...

It is only after 20 years that I appreciate what a monumental meeting ours was. Before Jonna I didn't know what it was like to have a best friend. Someone with whom my emotional kimono could remain perpetually open without fear of a pointy "Ha ha!" We were a pair, and according to a few people who shared our world, a bit of a force to be reckoned with.

There is no way that I could ever do what I am doing if I had never met Jonna. It was because of her friendship that I started to believe that I had something to offer other than good outfits, because if someone so great likes you, then you must actually be likeable. And maybe a little bit great as well.

I have never had Jonna's grace, but that is so ok with me. She is the salt to my pepper, which means we both have strengths that the other may be lacking, but the combination of both makes a perfect seasoning. As I listened to "Wow" by Ms. Bush tonight, I realized that Jonna was the first person to tell me I was cool. Amazing even. And that song will remind me of her (and the coolness) forever.

There is not a real point to this post, other than to acknowledge the impact Jonna has had on my life. A best friend is a powerful thing. It doesn't matter that her days look different than mine because at the core of it all, we are still the same 18 year old girls tickled to death that someone gets us. When I grabbed bags of free clothes tonight, as the official selling hours ended and street vendors left their unsold items on the street, I knew that whatever didn't suit or fit me would be sent directly to Jonna for a secondary perusal - undoubtedly finding things that make her look fabulous. No one will appreciate the random care package like she will, and that makes her rock all the harder.

xx

No comments: