10.29.2008

Green thumb on the Emerald Isle

In the continuing saga of my time between jobs, I went to Ireland to visit my friend Monique while she is spending time there with her boyfriend Colin. They are working on his mother's old house -- fixing it up after she passed last year and there is a lot of work to be done. The garden is huge and was vastly overgrown over years of perennials gone wild, so I called on my long dormant inner weed puller and went to work. For two days Colin, Monique and I tugged blackberry and ivy, cut back hedges, dug up trees and heaved countless piles of debris into one giant, soon to be mulched, hill. It was so fantastic and I suspect that the vestiges of a few demons were left behind in the mud.

Colin and Monique have neighbors named Joan and Wilfrid who we visited for tea on Sunday and cocktails and showers (since the water was out in the area and they have a well) on Monday. Wilfrid is a brilliant story teller in the vein of George Robertson (a shout out to heaven!) and I could have, and probably would have, listened to him for hours and hours.

A mushroomy fungus thing that grew in clumps on an old log. When you pushed them down, they would release a greenish spore-filled powder. Now we know what leprechauns take when they party.

On a morning walk with coffee in hand.

Colin in the back 40 in the midst of pulling. This is what it looked like before...

My fantastic Irish breakfast. Soooo good.

Muddy!

Mushroom house for a mini something.

...after. The back 40 after two days of hard work.

It's Ireland...green grass, bright leaves and old stone walls.

No comments: