9.15.2008

How two people see things differently

For three months, I sat with my back to the creative department I am supposed to manage, facing a glass wall with the account people on the other side. It wasn't bad, but I never felt comfortable.

Actually that is a lie. It sucked. I was separate from everyone, sitting alone with my dictionary and the voices in my head. Speaking what language?

So it was fantastic when I moved desks last week to the corner within the studio, amidst all the creatives, facing everyone and with my back to the wall. I think it is that last detail that is the best thing of all -- I instantly felt so much more relaxed as soon as I took my chair.

When trying to come up with a title for this posting, I asked Tom for his thoughts on what it meant that I am so much more comfortable in the new space, and he said, "You must have been Paulie Castallano in a previous life."
Um, who?
"You must have been in the mafia."
Um, ok. That wasn't really what I was thinking.
"What were you thinking?" he asked.
"I have to sit with my back to the wall because I was once jumped from behind in a wild west saloon. Or in a castle. Or on the trail."
"Wow," he said, "We have absolutely no imaginary scenario locations in common."

It's true. We don't.

No comments: