4.18.2008

A giant circular journey through my brain

An unforeseen side effect of unemployment is a serious case of writer's block. So, in an attempt to get out of my brain and onto the screen with something worthy of posting, I photographed some house numbers on my morning walk.




Pretty, no? While I was uploading the photos to the computer, I remembered a fabric pattern that I saw on the Marimekko site the other day:

"Summat" pattern by Marjaana Virta

And this reminded me of Jasper Johns. Actually it reminded me of seeing paintings of numbers in art history class and the handy internet led me to Jasper Johns and a nice visit to PBS.

Jasper Johns, Grey Numbers, 1961

And this painting made me realize just how much mid to late 20th century painting influences what I see through the camera. That thought led me back to the last photo I took this morning which sort of brings it all around full circle. Good stuff.


And for more good stuff, visit Smiling Magpie for more information on Marimekko and other bits of shine. This is my new blog where I obsess less about the workings of my brain and more about the funny, cool things I find in my travels around Amsterdam and beyond and the places on the web that sell such things. Please visit and tell me what you think!

No comments: