7.21.2007

The greatest night ever -- if you are me

Edited in the harsh light of morning for shameless use of "great." If I am going to be an adjective hussy, I should at least attempt to reach for higher fruit.

It started in a steak house with Monique and Colin. A charming Spanish red and a baked potato.

Next came The Bees at Melkweg. Loved it. Go see them live or buy the newest album "Octopus." Excellent soundtrack to summer or any mellow experience with friends (I am thinking Christmas holiday skiing in the Alps -- but that is Nicola's mellow experience, not mine. I just thought I would try it on for size. And it sort of fits.) At one point I did worry that I was enjoying the band's groove a bit too much and was on the verge of transforming into one of those spinning women at Phish shows, but then I came back to reality.

Then Amy, Rob and guywhosenameIcan'trememberrightnow danced to the DJ that followed the band which is never a bad thing. And I didn't hippie twirl even once.

After the dancing we wound up drinking vanilla shakes from McDonald's and eating FEBO frites. Amy and friend who cannot be named left and Rob went with me to American Book Store so I could buy the new Harry Potter book at 1am. He's a good friend and was strangely excited to witness the weirdness of muggles in capes wandering around Amsterdam in the early morning.

On my bike ride home, I passed two girls with the special Harry Potter bags that came with the book. I called out, "Harry Potter. YEA!" and they answered, "YEA!!!" And then I knew the world is very small and we, the fortunate ones, are able to geek out and be just who we are in the midst of it. Editors note: "Harry Potter. YEA!" That was the best I could do?

An all around stellar night. Some would say great and I would have to agree.

1 comment:

Elise said...

I got my HP book last night at 12:01, amongst all the muggles and my own children in capes. I am on p. 350 and look forward to your review!! I have to stop reading right now to go to a friend's house for dinner. Merlin's Pants!
Z