5.26.2007

Poiret glee

Yesterday I went to the "Poiret:King of Fashion" show at the Met and it was FANTASTIC! So good I went through twice. I loved that most of the clothes were not displayed behind glass, so I could lean in and get a bit closer as well as crane my neck at odd angles in order to better look at the details that made these clothes absolutely amazing. The entire show was beautifully curated and evoked the period, and Paris, in an un-fussy but transformative way. I dare say I was enthralled by it all.

At one point, I was staring at a blue and burgundy dress and marveling at scalloped hem and sleeves, which at first I thought were symmetrical and then realized they weren't, which I thought was a charming surprise and then realized that the buttons down the front of the dress were actually trompe l'oeil, not real at all and THAT was a charming surprise, and then when I looked at the back, there was a purely decorative bow at the neck. I frantically looked around for someone to share my glee, and said to the two random women closest to me, "And there is a bow on the back!" They both looked at my quizzically, so I went on, "It's just so CHARMING!!" One woman looked at me like I was an idiot, but the other woman said, "I know exactly what you mean!" And then we giggled. I wish my mom could have been at there with me, as she would have loved the clothes and details as well. One of the jackets Poiret designed looks amazingly like a jacket she already owns, which just proves once again that she is ahead of the curve, style-wise.

The trip to NY is great -- we are off to spend the weekend in Vermont. There will be photo documentation. And maple syrup.

1 comment:

Barrington said...

I'm confused. I didn't know Agatha Christie's Belgian detective made dresses too...