7.14.2006

The week that was...

My apologies for being a bit lax on the blog-front. It has been a lovely week of love and loving and sunshine and rainbows and unicorns and fuzzy kittens 'n stuff. And delightful cheese.

Saturday: Tom and I went to Albert Cuyp market and bought the makings for a picnic in the park. It was unexpectedly warm and sunny, so we spent a few hours lying on the grass, drinking wine, eating chicken and these amazing tomatoes stuffed with feta and herbs and reading our books. After months of hurrying through our visits with each other, it felt like a giant luxury to just sit with each other and be lazy in the sunshine.

Sunday: We went to the Van Gogh museum and I had to do some work, so the afternoon wasn't as picturesque as I wanted it to be. We walked up to the Jordaan to watch the WC finals with a bunch of people from work. The head butt that was heard around the world! There was yelling and cheering and Tom comforted a despondent Frenchman after it was all over. We wound up having kebabs and falafel at midnight and taking the tram back home in the early hours.

Monday: Tom rented a bike and quickly started taking off to parts unknown. He has been fearless and has seen much more of Amsterdam than I have. After work we went to a coffee shop with some friends from work and I realized why Amsterdam is so mellow. Good fun. Sorry mom.

Tuesday: I went to a salon to have my hair cut and colored and wound up with a fabulous new 'do. The Parisians -- they aren't much for zee conversation, but they are zee wizards with zee scissors. You know you are no longer on vacation when you start forming relationships with new beauty providers.

Wednesday: Tom went to a place called, "Electric Lady Land." It is a museum of UV light run by an old hippie from New Jersey. He told very funny stories about it over drinks with some of my fellow project managers. We went to a bar later that was so completely "Grey Gardens" I thought Little Edie would descend from the spiral staircase waving Dutch flags and doing a little dance. And then there were late-night tapas, where I thought it would be a great idea to use my Castilian Spanish with the owner. I thought I was fabulous. The owner, he was less than impressed.

And yesterday was another nice day. We did a little shopping after work because shops are open late on Thursday (until 8pm) and then went to yet another old bar for a drink before heading home for dinner. Tonight we are going to see a photography show at Foam gallery (http://www.foam.nl/) and then for a glass of something with Heidi - my friend from Portland who picked up and came over to Europe in search of adventure.

This weekend Tom and I are planning on riding out of the city to Haarlem or the beach and then chill out on Sunday. He leaves on Monday morning and I am back to being just me. It will be ok -- he will come back.

No comments: