7.28.2006

Bits and pieces

another end to another night...


Thought I would spend odd moments reporting little things about life in Amsterdam that may not be subject line worthy on their own, but are part of a larger, entertaining, entry.

- there are about 10 cats that live around my terrace. They circle the yard on top of the fences and stare at me from the rooftops of garden sheds and buildings. Like I did with soccer players during World Cup, I have made up names for each based on their appearance (the cats have far nicer names than the players). One cat is named Hitler: white face (no duh) and black triangle hair cutting at a 45 degree angle across the forehead and one ear. And a perfect rectangle mustache. I think that Hitler gets hassled regularly by the skinny black cat named Big Balls.

- apparently I have a vase obsession. I moved four over with me, but they are more decorative than usable, so I had to buy two more once I got here, which is nothing to be ashamed of. I have lots of white space to fill! And flowers are plentiful and cheap! But then I ran to the Monday flea market and found three more -- mid-century West German vases in all sorts of colors and sizes. So now I have nine vases. No soap dishes, mind you. But nine vases.

- have I talked yet about the heat wave? It has been hot and humid for about two weeks -- temps well in to the 80s every day. Some of you may scoff, as I know it has been very hot in other places, but the humidity is crazy and I have canals all around me whose water is starting to get funky. I am not one to complain about the weather, especially hot weather, but I am getting bored of having a permanent sweat mustache.

- it was so good to see Heidi last Sunday. We had a very civilized lunch in my apartment and then wandered around the museum district and then to a cafe. As we sang, "Wig in a Box" at full volume from my dining room table, I realized that I am the same person I was -- the same person I like -- from Portland. And as a direct result, this week was the first week that I really felt comfortable and part of things here. I am relaxing a bit and dancing a little more at random moments. And I sang out loud on my bike ride in this morning. Lovely.

No comments: